Group Fitness For Everyone
Motosumo is a connected fitness app that instantly transforms a members’ smartphone into a bike console and tool for group training. This app is meant for everyone; studio or club operators, group exercise instructors and members.
Riders can download the app for real time performance measurement and use it to compete and compare. Instructors can easily broadcast to the head of the room to create class engagement and build community with a group leaderboard display. Owners can utilize this low-cost solution to transform any cycling room into a high-tech experience.
Motosumo is the only group fitness solution powered by smartphones to track and connect everyone!
Get started by downloading the free app today!
Then it’s as simple as 1, 2, 3!
- 1. Download the app
- 2. Connect to a Motosumo studio when searching for a nearby gym
- 3. Go!
- You’ll be able to see your instructor and your friends right on your smartphone screen!
Monitor RPM, distance, calories and intensity.
Save your history so you can track your progress!
Join social competitions through your studio or globally through Schwinn and Motosumo.
Get access to our Trainer Resources to help you educate your members about the benefits of Motosumo and ultimately motivate them to pursue their goals and fall in love with this group training category.
Support & FAQs
Who is Motosumo?
Motosumo has a background in developing advanced sensor data analysis and motion modeling. Their technology has spread rapidly across channels to universities, training camps, high-end sports outlets, physiotherapists, test centers and elite athletes. Motosumo seeks to advance the idea of inspiring people to train intelligently by making it easy and fun, while connecting everyone in a group training network. Motosumo uses the technology already built into smartphones to measure performance on a bike without wired or wireless connection.
What is the Motosumo app?
Motosumo’s app instantly transforms the member’s phone into a bike console and tool for group training. It connects members through their own personal devices, fosters competition and community, and maximizes member retention and acquisition.
How does a club sign up and what are the benefits?
The benefit is the low barrier to entry for creating a high-tech experience for members:
- On bikes with a powermeter and for members with heart rate monitors, the app instantly converts the studio into a performance facility with the ability to train with power and quantified intensity.
- On low tech bikes like the IC Classic or anything without a powermeter or console, the app instantly adds a high tech experience without an investment or hardware, bringing the group training experience directly to the personal phones.
- Quantified Competition and next-level Gamification for maximizing member retention – on the member’s smart device and on a Group Display.
- Acquisition Tools – the studio is searchable by geolocation on the free consumer app, Invite a Friend (COMING SOON), and custom competitions on social media.
- Low Maintenance – updates and new features upgrades are software based, and there is no additional equipment to service.
- Intelligence – receive stats and insights on members, instructors, and classes.
- Customizable display for studio branding alongside Motosumo
Do you need a fixture for using your smartphone on a group cycle bike?
For the most accurate RPM measurements on a bike without technology (i.e. no powermeter or console), a fixture to secure the phone directly to the handlebars is recommended. Core offers a solution and can be ordered with a bike purchase or as a stand alone part.
Motosumo Fixture SKU #700-0045
There are 3rd party vendors who also offer other fixture solutions. If you choose to source from another vendor, ensure that the clamp can accommodate 1.25”-1.5” diameter handlebars, and that the back face of phone is in direct flat contact. Avoid points of contact that suspend the phone away from the back plate, rubberized wraps and straps, and flexing stems that will dampen the vibration from the bike that the phone sensors need to detect.
- What are the benefits to instructors, and how do they sign up?
The studio adds their instructor to their license for access to specific additional features and functionality. If your studio is not signed up, the location will not be searchable on the app. Be sure they’ve reached out to Schwinn to start their FREE 30 day license.
The benefit is class engagement and community building:
- Design your class and control your music with your smartphone.
- Directly interact with your members by triggering countdowns and emojis on their smartphones.
- Coach and motivate your team using real metrics, color zones, games and goals, and sound effects (COMING SOON).
- Grow your following and your social community.
- How does a consumer sign up, and what are the benefits?
The benefit is real time competition, comparison, and measurement:
- Join your class, be part of the team or race a friend. View the whole class’s progress on your own device, and rate your instructor.
- Monitor cadence, distance, calories and intensity in numbers and color zones.
- Bring your history home.
- Join social competitions through your studio or globally through Schwinn and Motosumo.
- New features become available on a monthly basis and will be automatically pushed to the app for the member to update.
- NOTE: If a studio does not convert to a paid license, the instructors who have been using their dashboard will no longer be able to use it to design classes at that location. It will only be available at studios that are on a current license. Members will still be able to track their workouts, but not log into the studio as a location to see the group stats and instruction.
- What Schwinn bikes will it work on?
Because the technology is BYOD (bring your own device), it works on all bikes, Schwinn or not.
On low tech bikes like the IC Classic or anything without a powermeter or console, the app instantly adds a high tech experience without an investment or hardware, bringing the group training experience directly to personal phones.
On bikes with a powermeter and for members with heart rate monitors, the app converts the studio into a performance facility with the ability to train with power and quantified intensity.
- Would I ever use it on a Schwinn bike that already has a console?
Even if a bike already has a console, the studio can add Motosumo to connect the class for competition Group Display, and the consumer can use their own device to bring their history home instead of requiring a USB stick and .csv conversion.
- If I’m a club and want to use Group Display, what do I need to buy or do?
Individual handlebar fixtures to hold phones.
A computer or tablet connected to the internet with a Google Chrome web browser.
- A large external monitor or projector connected to the computer via HDMI cable.
Connect the external display to the computer or tablet. Open up Google Chrome and go to https://group.motosumo.com. Log in using the same credentials (email and password) as in the app. The browser will then wait for you to start a new session in the app. When you do so, the browser will display the group display.
Looking to Get Started?
Check out the Motosumo YouTube playlist for tutorial videos on how to get started using the app.